+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: pancake holsters ... patterns

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009

pancake holsters ... patterns

i've not made a pancake holster yet, but i want to learn an efficient way to make them. actually i'm working on one to see if i can figure it out. this is a small holster... for a NAA mini revolver .22 mag. if i mess it up at least there won't be much leather wasted.
    does anyone know of a book of patterns or something in guiding to make them? i'm wondering how people make such great looking pancakes. must have something to go on. thanks in advance for any help in info. to make this type holster.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    hi Ricky, is what i do is trace the gun onto a manilla folder and then draw the holster around the drawing of the gun. doing that for both sides, then kinda put em together and trim and adjust where i need to. hope i'm making sense. by the way i am using my pen on a daily basis and lovin' it!

Tony
    The hand that feeds you also puts the chains around your neck.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hi Troop, i use poster board to make patterns. i did make a regular holster for the .22 mag years ago and it functions well. i've got the pancake glued together with slots and dyed. it looks pretty good. these type holsters may turn out to be easier to make than the traditional ones. now the fun part is coming next.... sewing it on that fine cobra machine. i was just wondering what others use for patterns for big guns. glad you're enjoying your pen.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    I don't make alot of holsters, but I do end up making lots of patterns. I found a poster board that has ghost lines on it. Since most of my patterns involve squares, rectangles, quarter rounds, it works great. It's alot like graph paper only the ghost lines are spaced 1/2 inch apart but still has the weight of poster board. I'm really liking the stuff.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hi nancyg, may i ask where you get that type of poster board from ? sounds like it could work well for other leather stuff too. thanks, rickymoo

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I would like to know where to get that posterboard too. Sounds like the perfect stuff
    Will Windom
    Windom Leather
    541-980-0223
    Windomleather@yahoo.com

"If the women dont find you hansome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green-

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Pancake holsters ... patterns

Hello All,

I make all of my cutting patterns from a heavy matt board, white on both sides, that I buy at the local United Art and Education store. This is part of a small chains of stores in the midwest. Here is the link to their page with the type of mat board that I am using. It is quite reasonable and the size is 32 by 40 inches. It is approximately 1/16 inch in thickness.

http://www.unitednow.com/search_resu...btnSearch.y=15

It also works well as a stiffener in notebooks or portfolios.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Will & Rickymoo, I've gotten the ghost poster board from Bi-Mart and also Walmart. I'm sure other craft stores would have it, I just bought where it was convenient. Hope this helps.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Ronn and Nancy for your sources for those items. I'll keep them in mind when I am ready to get that stuff
    Will Windom
    Windom Leather
    541-980-0223
    Windomleather@yahoo.com

"If the women dont find you hansome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green-

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Ricky,
    you can goto Springfield Leather Company and they have a 5 pack of patterns (pancake) for 5 differenct firearms. Good Luck!!!

+ Reply to Thread