+ Reply to Thread

Thread: velcro on leather

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009

velcro on leather

ok, i have some questions about using velcro on leather. i want to use it on wristbands so they are slightly adjustable. also on other projects... should i glue it on with contact cement and then sew it? and what type needle to use with leather and velcro. i have a cobra 4 machine and nw needles for leather. would round point needles work with leather up to 1/8" or so? i know that using leather needles " cut " the velcro fabric and are not recommended for nylon webbing... so .... anyone knowledgeable about this ? thanks in advance for any info.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I have glued the Velcro on some of my items however I have found it is better to use the Velcro that has the adhesive on the back because it sticks really well against the backing. When I used the glue it sometimes soaked through the Velcro. Another option is to use a small piece of two sided tape to hold the Velcro until you can sew it, I use reagalr leather needles to sew Velcro with. I hope that helped.
    Thank you,

Rob Bennett

Leather Store: www.rmbcustomleather.com

Email: rob@rmbcl.com

BLUEGUNS - Authorized Distributor

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009

velcro

rob, thanks for that. i thought about using velcro with glue that's on it. no matter what, i need to sew it i guess. i did sew a piece of elastic once across some leather just to see what it would do. it worked fine. i figured the narrow wedge needles would work. i made a couple of stingray bands and used snaps, but really i'd like to use something else. velcro it is... should do great. thanks!

4. sticky situation

Just watch out, the glue from the adhesive backed velcro gums up needles pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread