+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bronc saddle

1. Join Date
    Mar 2011

bronc saddle

ok guys,heres the deal im a saddle maker here in oregon i have a son into rodeos up to this point hes been content with riding bulls,it been easy building his gear,chaps,spurs,straps ect...however hes gotten into saddle broncs..the dilema is that ive never buildt a bronc saddle,its a very different beast,i was raised in a saddle shop my dads been a saddle maker for 54 years and in my 44 years hes only done one bronc saddle when i was about 10,so the building of it seems as simple as any saddle,however the lay out is quite different,rear riggin is set different,stirrup leathers,skirts,fenders...ect.. all different,down to the question....does any one have patterns,lay out,measurements ect????ive already had the treee made to prca regulations so ive got a good start,i know the ground seat is not as it would be in my stock saddles,any help would be greatly appreciated,this saddle will be one of a kind,very fancy but rugged and usable following prca regs.im hoping to get started on it soon and will post pics as the project un folds,thank you. Sean
    Saddle Tramp Saddlery

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Sean,I would borrow a Severe Bros. and study it.I built one back in the 70's but never made up any patterns for it.I used a Gold seal hamley for how I wanted it to look and set.Helped me a bunch.I saw that saddle last summer they are still using it.
    Steve
    Make it hand made not look home made

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Sean,
    Like Steve did, on my one and only I had another a couple sitting here to compare with while I was building one. I had a Broken Arrow that the guy liked and my Salisbury 606.
    Bruce Johnson
    Mal 4:2
    www.brucejohnsonleather.com

4. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    thanks guys,ive borrowed what was supposed to be a hamley however after a close inspection i discovered it was a hamley seat and jockeys on a saddle that was put together with a number of different parts,front riggin is set at full position on one side and 3/4 on the other ,the front riggin isnt my problem trying to set,prca requires it be set at 3/4,but the rear is set both sides different as well,the stirrup leathers are wrong as told by a friend who used to ride broncs,it looks to be an old assotiation tree that the horn was cut off,you can feel the stump under the very loose fitting swell cover.the skirts are to big for the saddle cause they overlap about an inch and a half,unless thts some new thing ive never heard about then it appears to be wrong.i dont think its a very good specimen...well ill keep looking,thanks again guys.

+ Reply to Thread