+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddlemaker's stitching horse

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Saddlemaker's stitching horse

Hello to all,

For years, I have been wanting a Saddler's stitching horse, with the long jaws. Way back when Hamp Brand had his shop and saddlemaking school, he offered a new one that you had to finish putting together. That was in the late 1960s. Price was $100.00 plus shipping. Unfortunately, getting that extra hundred was something that was hard to do, and four kids needed food more than I needed that horse.
    Anyway, since then, I have acquired some woodworking skills along with my leatherworking skills, and would like to find an old one, that either needed some repair, or at least, had all of the necessary hardware to make it operate correctly and had enough of the wood to make a pattern from.
    If anyone knows of such a critter, please send me a private message.

Thanks, and all have a great day.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Ronn,
    Here is a link you may find useful. It has complete instruction on building a stitching horse on pages 41-47. I am in the process of building one now.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VCV...age&q=&f=false

Ryan

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Ronn, I've got an old one I just haven't used and was thinking of selling it. I'm not sure if the jaws are as long as you'd like, I can go measure them. It could use some tightening up. I could also take a photo. Chris

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Saddler's Stitching Horse

Hello Ryan and Chris,

Ryan, thanks for the link, but the stitching horse in that publication is the standard Harnessmaker's horse, that has the leather strap that is placed about in the middle of the jaw height, to close the jaws.

With the Saddler stitching horse, the jaws are open the full length, somewhere around 17 or 18 inches, so that a saddle skirt ( 13 to 14 inches ) can be placed in them to then be able to hand stitch. The Saddler's Horse has a hinged device on the underside of the seat that is used to open and close the jaws.

Chris, if your horse is the deep jaw type that has the device that opens and closes the jaws mounted below the seat, I would like to see some pictures. You can send them to me at my email address of rosaddlery@aol.com.

Thanks

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hey Chris,
    if that is one of what Ronn is talking about. Any chance you could post the pics
    here also. Maybe a couple detail pics of the underneath part that closes the jaws. I built one from the pattern in the stohman stiching book and made it with four legs and has the leather strap as Ronn discribed and he's right the jaws aren't deep enough with that strap in there for anything but small projects.
    Thanks
    will
    Will Windom
    Windom Leather
    541-980-0223
    Windomleather@yahoo.com

"If the women dont find you hansome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green-

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Saddemaker's Stitching Horse

Hello Will, Chris and others,

Finally, in one of my file folders, I found several pictures of a Saddler's Stitching Horse.

One picture, from the adv. of Tom St. John, who makes them, shows a view from the rear.
    The other picture is of just the jaws themself. Also, a picture of the underside, showing one view of the locking device.

I have a file, in pdf format, that Verlane Desgrange had shared with me of a horse that they used at Spokane Community College, that has a differently made locking device. So, it would appear that the locking devices are a non-standard type of item. Basically what the maker has found will work.

I am not 'picky' whether a horse is usable, so long as it is complete and mainly has the hardware. For my intent is to make the parts from some air dried Thorny Locust planks that I have had air drying for close to 15 years. Should be plenty dry by now. LOL
    Attached Images

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Ronn for explaining the differences on the horses. I did not know that. I do know that I am now going to make mine into a saddler's horse. I have not yet cut any holes in my seat. I am also making mine out of Locust. Really nice to work with and looks nice too.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Hello,
    I am attaching a couple more pictures of the horse that someone shared the pictures of.

Notice how the right jaw extends through the seat. The left jaw is mounted permanently on the top of the seat. The 'clamping device' is mounted to the wood block on the left underside of the seat to which the linkage of the device is mounted.

I have another better designed (imo) horse that Verlane Desgrange had shared, but that is in pdf format, and the file is larger than the size permitted to be posted.
    Attached Images

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Ronn,
    Thanks for posting the pics, it has given me lots of ideas on how to make my next one.
    Will Windom
    Windom Leather
    541-980-0223
    Windomleather@yahoo.com

"If the women dont find you hansome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green-

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Figured out a way to copy the picture that I had referred to in the last message.

Here is a frontal view of it, that shows the different linkage used to open and close the jaws.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread