+ Reply to Thread

Thread: singer 211 g 165

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009

singer 211 g 165

Ok I admit I have no clue when it comes to sewing machines. I got this 211 g 165 from a buddy who just wanted it out of his living room. He had it all tuned up and running good. So I use this thing and the speed is so fast I can't keep up. I've tried to feather the treadle with no luck and I've tried to run it in very short spurts. I'm not having any luck with this machine. It also seems to keep getting out of time and making a ball of a mess of threads on the back. I'm trying to sew up to the thickness of 8/9 doubled. And using 207 thread. So what am I doing wrong and what can I do for the speed and timing/thread issues? Am I going to thick and if so what is the max thickness I can go with this machine?
    Will Windom
    Windom Leather
    541-980-0223
    Windomleather@yahoo.com

"If the women dont find you hansome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green-

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Singer 211

The two layers of 9 ounce doubled that you mentioned would be close to 1/4" thick if not over. The machine should be able to handle a size 207 thread, but that is the absolute heaviest it can handle. Your thickness of over 1/4" thick, which pretty heavy thread may be taxing the machine to its limits.

The 211 machines were good machines for upholstery and whatnot, but if you plan to sew heavier leather with thread in the 207 or larger range, then you might want to look at a heavy harness type machine, such as the Cowboy Model 4500, Cowboy Model 3500, Cobra Class 3 Cobra Class 4, and others.

Hope this is of some help to you.
    Ryan O. Neel
    Cowboy Sewing Machines
    Neel's Saddlery and Harness
    www.cowboysew.com
    www.neelsaddlery.com
    toll free: 1-866-507-8926

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Singer 211

Another thing -- you mentioned the machine was running really fast. This is not good for any machine sewing leather. You might want to consider slowing the machine down with at least a speed reducer or variable speed servo motor, or both. We offer servo motors and ball bearing speed reducers at some of the best pricing in the country. Might be worth looking into. If the machine can be slowed down a good deal, then it might be able to do what you are asking of it. There is no way of knowing this for sure until you try it, but it is a possibilty.

The heat generated by the needle when sewing through heavy leather is very great. It can make the machine fray thread and whatnot.

One other thing -- you should be using a size 24/180 needle with the 207 thread. If you are using a smaller needle, then that can cause troubles too.

Hope this is of some help to you.
    Ryan O. Neel
    Cowboy Sewing Machines
    www.cowboysew.com
    www.neelsaddlery.com

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Ryan for the input. So it would be a good machine for doing chaps and other light weight type work? It definately needs to be slowed down a lot. I will have to look into a servo and reducer for it. I am using the proper size needle for the thread size. I called a place up in spokane that deals in supply and repair of these machines and told him what I was using and he sent me the needles. I don't have the size with me at the moment since I'm not at the shop. Do you think the speed could be the issue with the thicker stuff getting all screwed up or am I just up at its limits and its not liking it? The bottom thread is like a glob on the underside of the thicker stuff too. I will adjust every thing and get it lookin good on my test piece and then when I go to do the work piece it turns into a disaster.
    Will Windom
    Windom Leather
    541-980-0223
    Windomleather@yahoo.com

"If the women dont find you hansome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green-

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Singer 211

The thickness that you are doing as well as the comparatively heavy thread that you are using could be the cause of the problem. Also, I know that speed when sewing heavy leather is an issue as well. In fact, it could be all of these things. My advice is try using a smaller thread and slow the machine down a good bit. Hopefully this will be the ticket.
    Ryan O. Neel
    Cowboy Sewing Machines
    www.cowboysew.com
    www.neelsaddlery.com

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    You'll be happy you made the change. My new machine has a servo and speed reducer, it cuts the learning curve way down. I tried my hand at sewing with a clutch motor I felt it would take a lot of hours to master it.

+ Reply to Thread